Mr. Kennedy is an experienced litigator and trial lawyer that cares for the rights and successes of his clients above all other goals in his profession. Born and raised in the heart of America with midwestern values, Mr. Kennedy decided in grade school that he would become a lawyer in order to protect the people he cares for most. Mr. Kennedy turned this passion into successful career by caring for the goals of his individual and business clients as if they were his own.
After graduating law school with Dean’s Honors and becoming the first lawyer in his family in 2005, Mr. Kennedy began his career writing over 100 judicial opinions as a staff attorney to the Honorable Nancy L. Moritz on the Kansas Court of Appeals from 2005 to 2007. Mr. Kennedy then joined the nationally known law firm of Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP where he focused his practice on representing construction companies and other large and small businesses in complex litigation and appeals from 2007 to 2010.
Mr. Kennedy joined Gates Shields in 2010 with the vision of expanding his practice to include helping both businesses and individuals who have been damaged or injured by the negligence of others. Mr. Kennedy is now a partner at Gates Shields and has won or settled cases for hundreds of individuals and businesses involved in disputes concerning construction, general business, insurance coverage, employment, subrogation and fire & explosion injuries. Mr. Kennedy prides himself in his competent use of technology and regular communication with his clients in order to gain an edge over his clients’ opponents while also easing his clients’ concerns.
Mr. Kennedy also recognizes the value in giving back to his community, particularly when there is an opportunity to help children. As President then VP of Recruiting for the WishKC chapter of the Make-A-Wish® Foundation from 2015 to 2019, and planning committee member for Make-A-Wish® Missouri & Kansas’s annual fundraising gala since 2017, Mr. Kennedy has raised tens of thousands of dollars to grant the wishes of children diagnosed with critical illnesses. Gates Shields is extremely supportive of this cause, purchasing a table at the event every year and encouraging its clients to do the same.
- Business Disputes
- Insurance Coverage
- Fire & Explosion Injuries
- Law School: Washburn Law School, 2005, Dean’s Honors
- Undergraduate: Washburn University, 2002, Magna Cum Laude
- Missouri, 2006
- Kansas, 2005
Associations & Organizations
- American Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Make-A-Wish® Missouri & Kansas
- “Should Utilities be allowed to Use Tariffs to Absolve Themselves of Liability for Personal Injury and Property Damage? Missouri Court More Recently Says ‘No’ for Reasons that May be Applicable in Your State,” Subrogator, National Association of Subrogation Professionals (Fall 2014)
- “Missouri Uniform Condominium Act: Condominium Associations Must Promptly Pay Regardless of What the Bylaws Say,” Subrogator, National Association of Subrogation Professionals (Fall 2013)
- “Subrogation Losses During Construction: Unique Investigative and Litigation Issues,” 2018 Annual Conference of the National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- “What is a Good Attorney?,” Referral Leaders International (August 27, 2014)
- “What is a Bad Attorney?,” Referral Leaders International (February 11, 2014)
- SimplexGrinnell, LP v. Hackney Electric Co., Inc. and Caro Construction Co., Inc., Case No. 99,972 (Kan. App. July 31, 2009) (successfully obtained judgment for construction client on appeal).
Awards and Achievements
- Top Rated on Super Lawyers©