Overland Park Personal Injury Attorneys
Honest & Dependable Legal Counsel with Offices in Overland Park & Liberty
Personal injury cases encompass a wide range of circumstances, from automobile accidents and slip-and-fall incidents to medical malpractice and wrongful death claims. These complex scenarios often involve intricate legal procedures and have the potential to significantly impact the lives of those involved. It is in these challenging times that the value of seasoned, knowledgeable legal counsel becomes apparent.
At Gates Shields Ferguson Swall Hammond P.A., we're well-versed in the intricacies of personal injury law. Our team brings together 260 years of combined legal experience, offering a wealth of experience and knowledge that can be invaluable in personal injury cases.
We recognize that every case is unique, each with its own specific details and considerations. Our extensive experience enables us to approach each case with an open mind while our solid grounding in legal principles guides our strategy. We aim to provide our clients with precise, comprehensive legal advice, helping them to understand their rights and choices.
Choosing a legal team for a personal injury case is a crucial decision. It's about more than just legal know-how—it's about finding a team that you can trust, a team that is dependable, and a team that has a proven track record. This is where Gates Shields Ferguson Swall Hammond P.A. stands out. We act as attorneys and advisors who serve our clients with integrity and professionalism.
Our firm's success in the industry attests to our dedication to our clients and our proficiency in handling personal injury cases. While we cannot promise outcomes, we can assure you of our unwavering commitment to diligently pursuing a favorable result for each client.
Injured in a negligence-related accident? Contact us online or via phone at (800) 574-4428 to learn about your rights and options.
Cases We Handle
At Gates Shields Ferguson Swall Hammond P.A., our team can help clients pursue compensation in the following types of personal injury matters:
- Wrongful death. Should you suffer the loss of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct, our team can help seek monetary compensation for the survivors and beneficiaries of the deceased. While no amount of money will ever make up for your loss, nor will it alleviate your grief, compensation can help ease the financial strain of having to cover funeral and burial expenses as well as lost income.
- Trucking accidents. We can help you establish liability and pursue compensation if you or a loved one are injured in a semi-truck accident.
- Motor vehicle accidents. If you are involved in a car, motorcycle, or vehicular accident of some kind, we can help you file a claim. It is important to note that Kansas is a no-fault state, which means that drivers are required to have personal injury protection (PIP) insurance to cover accident-related medical expenses after an accident. However, you can still file a claim if your expenses exceed $2,000.
- Premises liability. Property owners owe it to those on their property to make sure the premises are safe and free of hazards. If you are injured by negligent conditions on someone else's property, our team can help you understand your legal rights and options.
- Products liability. If you are injured because of a defective good or product, our team can help you hold the seller, manufacturer, or designer liable for your injuries.
When Should You Contact a Personal Injury Attorney?
The aftermath of an accident can be confusing and overwhelming. Between medical bills, lost wages, and emotional distress, it's easy to overlook crucial steps that can impact your rights and potential compensation. One of the most important actions you can take after an accident is to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
- They can help preserve evidence. Time is of the essence. Memories fade, witnesses disappear, and crucial details can get lost. An attorney can immediately start gathering evidence, documenting the scene, and securing witness statements, ensuring a stronger foundation for your case.
- They can help protect your rights. Insurance companies are not on your side. They have adjusters trained to minimize payouts, and any statement you make can be used against you. An attorney understands the legal landscape and can navigate these interactions, protecting your rights and ensuring you receive fair compensation.
- They can help you understand your options. You might be entitled to more than you think. An attorney can assess your individual situation, explain the different types of damages you may be eligible for, and guide you through the legal process, ensuring you explore all available options.
- They can help you level the playing field. Negotiating with insurance companies alone can be intimidating. An attorney has the experience to effectively deal with adjusters, negotiate on your behalf, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
- They can offer you more peace of mind. Dealing with an accident's aftermath can be stressful. Having a qualified professional by your side can provide invaluable guidance, answer your questions, and alleviate some of the legal burdens, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Compensation in Kansas Personal Injury Cases
The amount of compensation awarded in a Kansas personal injury case is highly individualized and hinges on the specific details of your claim. Here are the types of damages you can receive:
- Economic damages, also known as compensatory or special damages, are designed to compensate the injured party for their actual, out-of-pocket costs resulting from the injury. This includes medical bills, lost wages, cost of rehabilitation, and any other expenses directly linked to the injury. The goal of awarding economic damages is to restore the victim financially to the state they would have been in had the injury not occurred.
- Noneconomic damages, on the other hand, are intended to provide compensation for losses that cannot be easily quantified in monetary terms. Such losses may encompass physical discomfort and distress, psychological suffering, diminished quality of life, physical disfigurement, and the deprivation of companionship or consortium.
- Punitive damages are granted in rare cases where the defendant's behavior was notably heinous or harmful. Rather than serving to directly compensate the victim, these damages are designed to reprimand the defendant and discourage such behavior in the future. It is important to note that the court rarely awards these damages, and the filing party has the burden of proof in showing that the defendant acted maliciously or fraudulently.
Trust Us with Your Case
In choosing Gates Shields Ferguson Swall Hammond P.A., clients are selecting a firm with a strong foundation in personal injury law, a commendable track record, and an unwavering commitment to client service. The breadth and depth of our experience, coupled with our steadfast dedication, make us a formidable ally in any personal injury case.
As we understand the financial strain a personal injury matter can have on clients, we work on a contingency fee basis. Under this basis, you don’t have to pay us unless we get you a recovery.
Get in touch with our Overland Park personal injury lawyers today. Call (800) 574-4428.
Experienced & KnowledgeableNot only does our team have over 260 years of combined legal experience, but we are always continuing to learn and staying current with developments in the law and the industries we serve.
Results Driven & FocusedWe carefully plan for each legal matter to develop a personalized strategy for achieving a great result. Careful planning is the first step in achieving great results, and your results are our first priority.
Client Focused & PersonableWe take our clients needs very seriously. We want our clients not only to feel like they have a trusted legal advisor but also that they are part of the strong Gates Shields family.
Empathic & UnderstandingWe care about our clients. That is why we take the time to listen and communicate so we can truly understand your unique situation, make you feel comfortable with the process, and develop the best course of action.