Experienced Overland Park Attorney
Lawrence C. Gates is the founding member of the firm and has been a member/shareholder since its inception in 1980. He continues to be actively engaged in the practice of law, consulting with clients on legal matters related to lobbying, corporate gaming, public law and finance, real estate and banking.
Mr. Gates was elected Chair of the Kansas Democratic Party for four terms, serving with the Honorable Kathleen Sebelius. As a result, he has substantial personal and political ties across Kansas and in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Gates was admitted to the bar in the State of Kansas in 1974 and admitted to the Supreme Court of Kansas, the United States District Court for the District of Kansas, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Gates has practiced business and civil litigation, including business planning and corporate. He has also represented issuers and underwriters in complex taxable and non-taxable bond transactions. He represented the Kansas Department of Transportation for years, handling litigation.
He has also served as general counsel for the Kansas Turnpike Authority. Mr. Gates has substantial experience in public and government law, real estate and construction contract negotiation and all aspects of public bodies and organizations.
- Corporate transactions
- Securities and bonds
- Law School: University of Kansas, 1974
- Undergraduate: University of Kansas, BA in Political Science, 1972
- Kansas, 1974
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas, 1974
- United States Supreme Court, 1997
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1998
- Kansas Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- U.S. Bank Advisory Board of Directors (Co-Chairman)
- U.S. Bank Market Board for Kansas City
- Board of Directors and Executive Board Member of Goodlife Solutions, formerly Community Living Opportunities, Inc.
- Kansas Inn of Court (charter member)
- Bishop Miege Foundation (Board of Trustees, former Chairman)
- Board of Directors, Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas
Contact our Overland Park business law attorneys at (800) 574-4428 for a free initial consultation.