Robert Vancrum has practiced law for over 40 years and has served many individuals, and companies in estate planning, probate and trust and estate matters. throughout that time. He also advises clients on Medicaid spenddown issues. He is now of counsel to the Gates Shields firm.
Previously a partner in two large Kansas City law firms, he has also served clients with closely held or family corporations, commercial and residential real estate, retirement and other benefit plans and business tax issues. He also set up and represented non-profit trade associations. These experiences give him a varied and likely unmatched background of experience to understand and represent those with simple and complex trust estate and probate issues, as well as serving their estate planning needs.
He is an active member of both the Kansas (1981) and Missouri Bar (1971).
- University of Kansas, BA Political Science (with honors)
- University of Chicago Law School, JD, 1971
- University of Missouri at Kansas City, LLM, 1980
- Trusts and Estates, Probate, Estate Planning, and related commercial and residential real estate matters
- Voted Super Lawyer in Estate Planning by his peers.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rating with distinction for over 30 years in both states.
- Past member and subcommittee Chairman for the ABA Tax Section Committee on Closely Held corporations
- Past Board member and Vice President of the Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence
- Safe Home capital campaign co- chairman (domestic violence)
- Metropolitan Coalition Against Sexual Violence, Johnson County Co- Chair
- Served as a Kansas Senator and Representative for 12 years
- Wrote the Kansas Sexual Predator Act which was sustained by the United States Supreme Court. It became a model for dozens of states similar laws.